I am a Nutritional Consultant and Personal Trainer
When I am not working with clients, I spend most of my time studying, reading about the latest nutritional information from studies, or training articles. I find this fascinating. It also makes me better able to design diets for my clients so they get results.
Clients are varied in their goals, backgrounds and work commitments…
- Some want to lose weight quickly and painlessly,
- Some want to shed the last big of fat and then slow-bulk keeping their abs.
- Some are athletes, or fighters looking to get their nutrition right.
There is one thing in common though, almost universally, they all want to look great naked.
What is an Online Coach?
If you’ve come to this page wondering what an ‘online coach’ is then I’ve written a couple of articles that you might find useful.
- What is the Value of an Online Diet Coach is about the specific benefits I think working with an online coach holds vs one you can hire locally.
- What Makes a Good Diet Coach? focuses more on the specifics of what I personally do and my thoughts on what I feel a good coach does.
The information below is about the application process, specifically about what I will do, and some personal requirements I have of all clients. If you think that is something you are interested in then continue reading, however please don’t think that you need to hire me to have success. I’ve put a lot of love into the guides on this site, and the e-mails I receive and stories I hear from people that have had success just reading it is plenty motivation for me to continue updating and writing new ones as I continue to learn from client experiences.
Personal Consultations: Nutrition and Training
Things you need to know
1. The results that you have seen on this site have all been produced on the philosophy of giving people the maximum return on their time investment. I simplify everything that I can because I believe it leads to a higher long-term success rate. I don’t want you to get ripped in three months and then get fat again because the plan wasn’t sustainable. What this means is:
- I keep the training requirements of clients to a minimum. Typically 3×1 hours of training a week. Going to the gym is by far preferable to home workouts, but this doesn’t* rule out home workouts. (*For ladies, barbell training experience is a requirement.)
- Cardio is very rarely used. If we do use it, it will be used in a targeted and sparing way. My thoughts on cardio are written here.
- I use simplified macro counting rules to make your life easier. I believe it gives people better success this way. Everyone featured on this site has used those rules and if you become a client I’ll want you to use these rules too.
- I use a diet method based on the principles taught by Martin Berkhan on his website Leangains.com. I do this because I believe the ideas laid out there are among the most scientifically sound and effective in the industry. A lot of the articles on this site so far have been about Leangains because I want to support Martin in promoting his work, particularly in Japan. Please Note: I do not pretend to know the exact formulas that he uses or possess the kind of knowledge that he does. If you want a Leangains consultation there is only one place you can get that and that’s from Martin himself.
2. A coach is the sum of their experience working with people. I am still relatively new to this game and cannot be compared with masters such as Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald and Martin Berkhan. It’s not magic that these people possess, it’s just very hard work over years of dissecting client results and constantly striving for improvement.
3. I think if everybody were a little more humble, and stopped writing like they know everything then there wouldn’t be so much bad information about nutrition and training on the web. I don’t know everything. I am learning everyday. When I don’t know the answer to one of your questions, as any of the clients current or past will attest, I will do my best to find an answer because,
…….a) It helps make me better at my job, and
…….b) I love reading about this stuff.
If I find a good source of information that I think you’d find useful I will be sure to let you know the information and the source.
4. I’m only interested in taking on serious clients that want to do the work and change themselves. People that just want to throw money at a problem and hope it solves itself can kindly waste their money elsewhere. – I don’t want it.
5. For ladies, barbell training experience is a requirement.
As a client, what can I expect?
It’s important that you feel that my coaching style is a good fit for you, and that we both feel that we’ll work well together. I also understand you will have questions you wish to ask before deciding whether my services are for you, so I offer a free consultation via e-mail. We can discuss your lifestyle and schedule to see how the program can be made to work for you, and I’ll then, based on previous experience, make a prediction of the progress I expect you could achieve in a 12 week time-frame. If you like/agree with the prediction I’ll then send over pricing information.
Please quickly fill out the form at the end of the post and tell me how I can help.
Your location does not matter. Consultations take place via e-mail.
Note: Optimal calorie and macro-nutrient intake vary depending on goals, age, gender, body-fat percentage and daily activity levels. Such specifics require careful consideration and analysis, and as such recommendations are only available for paying clients.
Consultation Packages: Two Tiers, 12 Week Courses
Recent changes: I have decided to stop offering just an initial set-up as a basic consulting package (formerly called “Tier 1″) and now only offer 12 week courses. This for a number of reasons, but mainly because working with people for 12 weeks gives better results, affords me a greater learning opportunity, and I prefer the increased interaction with clients.
One of the key points of value with these two courses are the tracking and re-assessments. If you’re making mistakes in the diet or training, usually I will be able to pick up on it and make suggestions. When your progress stalls, I will be able to objectively analyze why.
The value of having me assess your progress objectively and tell you what to do should not be overlooked. The percentage of clients involved in the fitness industry may surprise you. Why do people that have the knowledge to do it themselves hire me? Because they realise the importance of this. I will stop you making decisions based on impulse or emotions -something that often stops people from achieving their goals.
Though some may choose to re-hire me, I am not aiming for repeat business.
It is my goal that if you choose one of these two options that you will know enough through our interactions over the 12 weeks, and the advice given at the end, that you’ll be able to continue to have success on your own. I want you to not only get in shape but be walking around feeling great for years. Ultimately I want you to be independent. It’s a completely opposite “business” model to the conventional training industry but I think it’s a more honourable way of doing business. Plus, I get to help more people this way.
12 Weeks – Tier 2
- Specific, personalized macronutrient calculation for your goals.
- Example meal plans, customization rules, & personalized meal timing for your schedule. (Essential and often overlooked.)
- Suggested training program tailored specifically towards your goals, experience, and schedule.
- Monthly re-assessment based on progress*.
- I will be tracking your progress which will help to keep you motivated, and make the monthly re-assessments productive and objective.
- Adjustments to the diet & suggested training alterations.
*Strength, body measurements, and body weight changes all show progress. -The scales don’t tell the whole picture. (An example tracking sheet can be seen here.)
12 Weeks – Tier 3
Including everything above except:
- Re-assessments are every two weeks* and thus contact is more frequent.
*I’ve found that to try and assess things more often than this can actually be more harmful than helpful as it makes trend spotting more difficult.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Personal Consultation Inquiry Form
The more detail you give me here, the more detailed I can respond with help:
Note: 1. For those looking for the magic of Martin Berkhan here, you are in the wrong place. I cannot teach you his methods, only he can.
2. I can’t accept anyone under the age of 18.
I will respond with a confirmation mail usually within 48 hours.
Please check your junk folder/spam box as my replies have been known to get lost there.
I’m concentrating my efforts on spreading good nutritional practices in Japan. In order to do this, I need to spend a lot of time in forums, working on translations and reading, so there is currently an approximate 14 day wait.
Thank you for your understanding.
- Realistic expectations are important.
Please read: “12 Weeks: What You Can Expect to Achieve.“
If you have any trouble, contact me directly at: email@example.com. Thank you.